I recently got a commission to build a full size RA7 Bug Droid statue.

My replica Bug droid will be made using a C3PO which will be chopped up and the parts reworked. Many of the parts for the original prop were made this way. 

 

This is a production photo of the Lucasfilm droid. The chrome paint and overhead lights/reflections make it difficult to judge the shapes but after a few attempts the front of the torso is starting to take shape....


 

I took some time out to build up a bug head and upper torso. Its been fully painted up with all greeblies attatched to see how it wold turn out. Pretty happy....

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 This prop is in my online shop for £350...

 

 

The parts made so far are test fitted along with the head.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The left arm is fabricated and bolted together....

 

 


 

 

 

 Today I got the legs and feet bolted together and for a photo I test fitted everything. Looking ok so far as its only gravity holding this lot together!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

There has been alot of progress made over the last week on the torso and legs. Ive decided to make the torso as a single piece so added lower parts and sculpted them onto the already existing upper half. Same with the legs. They are made as a complete part including knee joint. There's still alot of small details to add but the basics are now there....

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

This photo shows the shoulder bells and shoulder hoops in place. Lots of filling and sanding to do now before moulding....

 

 

 

 

Stage 3;

Reworked the lower half of the front torso....

 

 

 

Stage 2;

I spent a couple of hours today fixing some of the errors and repositioning some of the lines. Next is to reform the curves around the ribs....

 

 

 

 Stage 1;

 

 

 The shoulder bells are roughed out using a pair of C3PO parts....